Wizards of Waverly Place is a Disney Channel original fantasy television sitcom which premiered on October 12, 2007. It won a Primetime Emmy Award in 2009 for "Outstanding Children's Program" and was nominated again in 2010, but lost to show's made-for-television movie. The series was created by Todd J. Greenwald, and stars Selena Gomez, David Henrie and Jake T. Austin as three wizard siblings with magical abilities. Further main cast includes Jennifer Stone, Maria Canals Barrera and David DeLuise.
The show began airing in High Definition with the third season's premiere episode, "Franken Girl", on October 9, 2009, making this the second of three Disney Channel Shows to transition from Standard Definition to High Definition. A film adaptation of the series, Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie premiered on Disney Channel as a Disney Channel Original Movie on August 28, 2009. In June 2010, Disney Channel renewed the show for a fourth season. It was also announced that a second film based on the series has been greenlit.
Set on Waverly Place in Manhattan, New York's Greenwich Village neighborhood, Wizards of Waverly Place centers on the Italian-Mexican Russo family, which includes Alex (Selena Gomez), her older brother Justin (David Henrie) and their younger brother Max (Jake T. Austin). The three Russo siblings are wizards in training and live with their Italian-American father Jerry (David DeLuise), a former wizard, and their Mexican-American mother, Theresa (Maria Canals Barrera) who is a mortal. Alex's best friend Harper (Jennifer Stone) also found out about the Russos' wizard powers in Season 2 in the episode "Harper Knows". The siblings have to keep their secret safe while living in the mortal world. When they become adults, the three siblings will have a wizard competition to decide who will become the family wizard of their generation and keep their powers forever while the other will lose theirs and become mortal. The magical world tends to be very eccentric and surreal. It is also the favorite show of Draco Malfoy, and Ron Weasley.
The series was created and as executive produced by Todd J. Greenwald, who began developing the show after working as a writer and consulting producer during the first season of Hannah Montana. The show is produced by It's a Laugh Productions and Disney Channel Original Productions. The theme song, "Everything Is Not What It Seems", written by John Adair and Steve Hampton, is of techno-pop style and is performed by Selena Gomez. The series is filmed at Hollywood Center Studios in Hollywood, California.
- Main article: List of Wizards of Waverly Place characters
- Selena Gomez as Alex Russo
- David Henrie as Justin Russo
- Jake T. Austin as Max Russo
- David DeLuise as Jerry Russo
- Maria Canals Barrera as Theresa Russo
- Jennifer Stone as Harper Finkle
- Amanda Tepe as Monotone Woman
- Daniel Samonas (Daniel Nicholas Patrick Samonas) as Dean Moriarty
- Josh Sussman asHugh Normous
- Ian Abercrombie as Professor Crumbs
- Bill Chott as Mr. Herschel Laritate
- Dan Bensn as Zachary "Zeke" Rosenblatt Beakerman
- Bridgit Mendler as Juliet Van Heusen
- JD Cullum and Anne Ramsay as Alucard and Cindy Van Heusen
- Fred Willard as Mr. Stuffleby
- Kelsey Sanders and Heather Trzyna as The Wannabes
- Brian Kubach as Riley
- Jeff Garlin as Kelbo Russo
- Moises Arias as Conscience
- Daryl Sabara asT.J. Taylor
- Andy Pessoa as Alfred
- Lucy Hale as Miranda Hampson
- Gregg Sulkin as Mason Greyback
- Skyler Samuels as Gertrude "Gigi" Hollingsworth
- Paulie Litt as Frankie/Joey
- Chad Duell as Ronald Longcape Jr.
- Maurice Godin as Ronald Longcape Sr.
- Andy Kindler as Chancellor Rudy Tootietooie
- Octavia Spencer as Dr. Evilini
- J. Evan Bonifant as Jerko Phoenix
- Hayley Kiyoko as Stevie Nichols
- Perry Mattfeld as Frankengirl/Frankie Stein
- Veronica Sixtos as "Positive" Nellie Rodriguez
- Gilland Jones as Jennifer "Jenny" Majorheely